Thursday, January 31, 2013
Here's were you can make some good deals and awesome bonuses. Or, here's were you can be left in the dirt. Credit Cards. Are they good or bad?
Maybe you have heard of financial guru Dave Ramsey on the radio. He says that credit cards should never be used and that "responsible use of a credit card does not exist." When you have credit cards you get debt and spend more...even if you pay your bills off on time. Credit cards are a major problem in America. Credit cards are Bad for most people, but awesome for those who know how to use them. Since you are reading this post, there is a good chance you care enough to be a wise user of credit cards.
In my mind there are basically three reasons to use a credit card:
1. To get credit. If you want to buy a home some day or for business purposes, having good credit can help with a lower interest rate or to get a business loan. What about to get good credit for a good car loan? For me, I would say no most of the time. Usually, you can buy a cheaper car if you don't have the money to buy a nicer car.
2. To get bonuses and cash back.
3. Have a source to pay for an EMERGENCY. You should have or work towards an emergency savings, but in a very few cases, credit cards might be used as a last resort.
1. NEVER pay any interest on a credit card. Have your bills paid off every month
2. Never let credit cards INFLUENCE how you spend. If you buy something because you have the credit and not the money, you've LOST the game.
3. Treat your credit card purchases as if you were spending cash. If you don't have cash to pay off the credit card, you can't make the purchase.
4. Be ORGANIZED. If you can only keep track of one credit card, only have one.
Some fun facts about Credit Cards:
-Only 1/3 of credit card holders pay off their balance every month.
-Average debt of credit card holders is $16,000
-Average number of credit cards/per card holder: 3.5
-2.5 trillion in US consumer debt
Although these numbers might be scary, it is the reason banks and credit card companies offer so many good deals and cash back. If you follow the above rules, bonus and cash back credit cards are a great deal.
In later posts I will write about some great credit cards to get for bonuses and cash back. There are hundreds of dollars you get from getting these cards and I've done it. I will show you how to take the bait and leave the hook. If you are not able to use credit cards wisely, then DON'T get them. Me? I have about 8 cards right now with more to come!
What do you think about credit cards?
If you LIKE what you've read, LIKE us on Facebook for more awesome deals!
Stock investing. Perhaps you've never invested in stocks, perhaps you've been doing it for years. In todays high-tech world it's...
Where to get the cheapest contacts? About 15% of American's wear contact lenses. That's a fair amount of people and I'm one...
My wife and I will be traveling out of the country this summer and her passport needed to be updated. I just did a little research on where ...